All Android devices have a bootloader, fastboot, and recovery mode. While the bootloader or fastboot mode allows us to flash firmware and recovery files, you can wipe your device and flash OTA ‘update.zip’ via the recovery mode. Every user must know about the methods to boot into them. Today, we’ll see how we can boot into the Download on Samsung Galaxy devices using hardware keys. Not just that, you can also use the Samsung Download Mode tool called 300K Tool and ADB command to get into the Download Mode and Recovery Mode without keys.
What is Download Mode on Samsung?
While most Android devices have a regular bootloader and fastboot mode, OEMs like Samsung, Nokia, and LG phones come with the Download Mode. Having booted your phone in the Fastboot mode, you can flash stock firmware and factory images. However, you can’t execute Fastboot commands in the Download Mode. All devices with the Download Mode support firmware flashing via manufacturer-specific official tools like Samsung Odin, LG Flash Tool, Nokia OST Tool, etc.
The Download Mode on Samsung Galaxy devices is also known as the Odin Mode. When put in this mode, your Samsung phone or Tab can download firmware binaries like BL, AP, CP, and CSC via the Odin Tool. By flashing the firmware files to your device, you can recover your phone from a boot loop, update or downgrade software, and restore it to stock. While Nokia phones often get stuck in the Download Mode after a software update failure, there’s no such issue on Samsung devices. While the Download Mode on Nokia devices supports Fastboot commands, Samsung devices don’t.
Enter Download Mode on Samsung Devices
There are 3 ways to boot Samsung Galaxy smartphones and tablets into the Download or Odin mode.
- Using hardware key combination
- Samsung 300K Tool or Samsung Download Mode tool
- Using ADB command
The last two methods can boot your device into the Download Mode without pressing the keys or buttons. Also, learn how you can turn the Safe Mode on and off on your Samsung device.
Samsung Download Mode Key Combinations
This is probably the most popular way to enter Download Mode on Samsung devices. It was the universal method until all Samsung phones and tablets had the Power, Home, and Volume keys. However, with the departure of the Home button and with the introduction of the Bixby button on some Galaxy devices, the hardware key combination to get into the Download Mode has not only changed but also varies from device to device.
On Samsung Devices with Home, Power and Volume Keys
Older phones like Samsung Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S7/S7 Edge, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy Note 5, Galaxy Note 7, etc. have Power, Home, and Volume buttons.
- Turn off your phone or tablet.
- Now press and hold the Home + Volume Down + Power keys simultaneously for 2-3 seconds.
- Release the keys and then press the Volume Up key to continue to the Download Mode.
On Samsung Devices with Power and Volume Keys
Smartphones like Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018), etc. have just the Power and Volume (Up & Down) buttons. If you own one such Samsung device, follow the steps below.
- Power off your Galaxy device.
- Hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons at the same time for 2-3 seconds.
On Samsung Devices with Power, Bixby, and Volume Keys
Samsung smartphones like Galaxy S8, Galaxy S9, Galaxy S10, Galaxy Note 9, etc. come with Power, Volume+, Volume-, and Bixby keys. On such devices, you can get into the Download Mode as follows.
- Turn off your smartphone.
- Press and hold the Volume Down + Bixby + Power keys together for 2-3 seconds.
- On the next screen, you will be prompted to press the Volume Up button. Just do it.
On Samsung Devices with Volume and Power-cum-Bixby Keys
On Galaxy devices like the Galaxy S20, Galaxy Note 10, Galaxy A90, Galaxy A80, Galaxy A70, Galaxy A50, Galaxy A40, etc., Samsung has merged the Bixby and Power keys. To boot such devices into the Download Mode, follow these steps:
- Power off your device.
- Press and hold the Volume Up and the Power buttons at the same time for 4-5 seconds.
- Your Samsung device will boot into the Recovery Mode. You can use the Volume up/down key to navigate and the Power button to select options in the Recovery Mode.
- Highlight the Reboot to bootloader option in the recovery menu and press the Power key.
- Your Samsung device will boot into the Download Mode.
Samsung Download Mode without Keys
There are actually 2 methods to get into the Samsung Download Mode without touching the hardware keys on your device. Both these ways require a computer and a USB cable.
Samsung Download Mode via ADB Command
One of the many things that we can do with ADB commands is to make your Samsung Galaxy device boot into the Download mode using your computer. The best part of the game is you can do that without pressing any key. This method works for all Android devices and below we’ll see how to do that.
- Install the latest Samsung USB driver if you don’t have it installed already.
- Download the latest Platform Tools (ADB and Fastboot tools) for Windows, Mac, or Linux and save it on your desktop.
- Extract the downloaded zip.
- Open the extracted platform-tools folder.
- Launch the command prompt. Place the mouse cursor at an empty spot inside the folder windows. Press the Shift key + right-click on the mouse and select Open PowerShell window here from the context menu. Alternatively, you can type “cmd” in the folder address bar and hit the Enter key to launch the command window.
- Enable USB debugging on your Samsung device.
- Connect your device to the computer via a USB cable and make sure your device screen is unlocked while you execute the commands.
- Now, type the following command in the command window to check your device is properly connected.
- If you get a string of alphanumeric value in the cmd window, proceed with the next command.
adb reboot bootloader
- That’s it! Your Samsung Galaxy device will reboot into the Download Mode.
Samsung Download Mode Tool
I really don’t have any idea why the developer named it like that but Samsung 300K is a great Samsung Download Mode tool. It is a very small portable utility that makes your Samsung device reboot into the Download Mode just in a single click.
- Download Samsung 300K Tool.zip.
- Turn off the antivirus program on your Windows PC. Your antivirus software might report that the file has a virus but ignore it.
- Now unzip the file and open the extracted folder.
- Turn on USB debugging on your Samsung device and connect your phone to the computer.
- Double-click the Samsung 300K Tool.exe file to launch the program.
- Now click the big Resistance icon on the left side of the program window.
- The Samsung Download Mode tool will reboot your phone or tablet in the Download Mode.
Note: In case you entered the Download Mode on your Samsung device by mistake, you can exit by holding the Volume Down + Power buttons simultaneously for 7-8 seconds.