I had been enjoying the 2022 Jeep Compass Model S for a month until I started facing a very irritating problem with the 10.1-inch UConnect infotainment system before the honeymoon period was over. All of a sudden the 2022 Jeep Compass touchscreen blacked out and stopped working. No matter what I did, it wasn’t turning on or responding. In this tutorial, we’ll check out some possible fixes for the touch screen not working issue on the Jeep Compass, Trailhawk, Meridian, Commander, Renegade, Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, and other FCA vehicles that use the same UConnect system.
The new generation of Jeep vehicles comes with an amazing infotainment system with a user-friendly interface. Compared to the older version of UConnect, the latest iteration of the UI brings about a bunch of changes that enhance the experience. As for the touch screen, it’s fast and very responsive to touch gestures. However, as it goes about anything tech, it’s not without flaws.
The touch screen of my 2022 Jeep Compass started freaking me out one evening and kept bothering me until I managed to fix it. As you all know, the new Compass has a dedicated “Screen off” button that lets you turn off the touch screen. I turned the screen off while listening to music. When I started the vehicle after 10 minutes or so, the music stopped playing and the infotainment system displayed the Jeep logo and then the screen turned black instantly. Nothing worked except the rear and front cameras and the 360º view.
At first, I thought it was just a small technical glitch that was temporary and would resolve automatically. I tried starting and stopping the engine again and again hoping the touch screen not working problem would go away but nothing of the sort happened. The infotainment system screen didn’t respond to touch feedback and remained black.
Since the camera view was working, I was sure that it was only a software-side problem. The black screen on the touch screen also lit up and worked fine when I made calls using my smartphone.
If the infotainment system touchscreen of your Jeep vehicle is not working, don’t panic as I did. There are a few possible fixes to resolve the issue. I’ll be mentioning the solutions below.
Don’t Miss: 350 Most Amazing Websites on the Internet
Fixing Touchscreen not Working on 2023 Jeep Vehicles
Since I own the 2022 Jeep Compass powered by UConnect 5, the steps given below are based on that. However, if you got the new Jeep Trailhawk, Grand Cherokee, or Wrangler, you can use the same tips to fix the touch screen that has turned black and is completely responsive.
Method 1: Turn off the Vehicle
This simple tip has worked for me most of the time my SUV’s touch screen went black and unresponsive. Simply, press the engine Start/Stop button and open and shut the driver-side door. Wait for a couple of minutes and start the vehicle again.
Method 2: Soft Reset the UConnect System
If your Jeep vehicle’s touch screen is not turning on at all and is all black, you can use the following tip. This will not reset the UConnect settings and customizations.
- Start your Jeep vehicle.
- Press and hold the Power/Volume and Enter/Tune buttons at the same time.
- Keep both buttons pressed for 10-15 seconds, or until you see the Jeep splash screen.
Doing so will fix the touch screen not working issue. I have tested this key combination in Jeep Compass, Meridian (Commander), and Grand Cherokee.
Method 3: Remove the Pen Drive
I always keep a 32GB pen drive inserted in my Jeep Compass to enjoy music while driving. If you use a pen drive too and it’s full of music files, the UConnect system might hang while trying to load it. If you use a 16GB pen drive, for instance, you should keep 50-60% of its storage free.
Keeping it almost full might create issues with the touch screen of your Jeep SUV. Pull out the pen drive, insert it into a computer, empty some space, and re-insert it into the USB port of your vehicle. Try starting your car then, the touchscreen problem should be solved. If doing so doesn’t help, jump to the next tip.
Method 4: Reset the Jeep UConnect Touchscreen
How to reset the Jeep Compass touchscreen when it’s not working at all! You must be thinking about how you would get to the UConnect settings screen when the screen is totally black. Well, this is what I did to fix the touch screen that was going crazy with a blank black screen for hours. I presume that you have already paired your Android phone or iPhone with your Jeep vehicle via Bluetooth.
- Use your Android or iOS device to make a call to any number when the engine of your Jeep Compass is running.
- Doing so will wake up the black touch screen for about 30 seconds.
- This is the time to tap the Vehicle Settings icon located at the bottom of the screen.
- You should now be able to navigate to the Reset option under Settings.
- Tap on the Reset button and you will see a range of options listed there.
- Start by tapping the Restore Settings to Default option and select Yes when prompted to confirm your selection.
- Then tap on Clear Personal Data and select Yes again.
Now, turn off the engine and start it after a minute. The touch screen not working issue in your Jeep Compass, Trailhawk, Grand Cherokee, or Wrangler should be fixed.
If clearing the personal data doesn’t fix the touchscreen problem, you can try the Factory Reset option as your last resort.
Read Also: 73 Google Search Tricks, Hacks, and Easter Eggs
Method 5: Make a Call from a Connected Phone
You might find it funny but this tip might work for you as it did for me. If your Jeep vehicle’s touchscreen is not working or it’s blacked out and not responding at all, try this tip. If you have paired your phone with your car or connected it via Android Auto or Apple Car Play, open the phone app on your smartphone and dial a number. In my case, the UConnect screen just turned on when I made a call.
Method 6: Reset UConnect System using Hardware Buttons
If you are not able to access the UConnect settings at all, you can still reset the touch screen of your Jeep vehicle using the hardware buttons. Once you reset the UConnect system using the steps given below, the touchscreen glitch should be fixed.
- Start your Jeep Compass in the Accessories Mode. You can do so simply by pressing the engine Start/Stop button without pressing the Brake pedal.
- Hold down the Volume button located under the rear surface of the steering wheel on the right-hand side and the Enter/Browse (round) button located in the middle of the left-hand media controls.
- You need to hold both buttons simultaneously for about 10-15 seconds. The UConnect system will reset and the touch screen of your Jeep Compass or Cherokee will turn back on.
Depending on the make year and model of your Jeep vehicle, the hardware button combination to reset the touch screen might differ. In case the above trick doesn’t work for you and the touch screen not working problem still persists, try the following key combination.
- Put your Jeep vehicle in the Accessories Mode by pressing the Start button without putting your feet on the Brake pedal.
- Before the UConnect system fully boots, quickly press and hold the Green Phone and the Voice Command buttons for about 30 seconds.
- After that, release both buttons.
- Now, press the Start/Stop button to turn off the UConnect system. The touch screen will go black.
- Then open the driver-side door for about 30 seconds and close it.
- Finally, turn on the engine by pressing the Start button and the brake pedal.
- Wait until the UConnect infotainment system boots up. The black touchscreen issue should be fixed.
Method 7: Disconnect and Reconnect Battery Terminals
In case performing the soft reset didn’t fix the black and unresponsive screen of your vehicle, you can try the following trick to fix it. I tested this method on a friend’s Jeep Commander during a group trip. I read in a forum that removing and reconnecting the negative terminals from the battery works like a hard reset on the UConnect system like in vehicles like Jeep Compass, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Renegade, Jeep Gladiator, and Jeep Patriot. Let’s see how to do it.
Doing this allows all the stored charges in the system to completely discharge. Here is how this works.
- Open the bonnet of your SUV.
- Now, remove both the negative (black) and positive (red) terminals from the battery.
- Leave it that way for 5-10 minutes so that all stored charges in the system drain away.
- Connect the terminals again.
- Close the bonnet and start your vehicle.
Method 8: Update the UConnect Software
If the touch screen going black issue is a random affair that pops up every now and then, it may be due to a bug in the UConnect software. In that case, updating the software or getting the UConnect firmware reinstalled might be the only solution to fix the touch screen not working on your Jeep vehicle.
You can easily check if new software is available for your Jeep Compass, Trailhawk, Cherokee, or Wrangler by visiting the official UConnect portal and entering the VIN (vehicle identification number) of your Jeep vehicle. If you are told that your “YOUR VEHICLE IS UP TO DATE”, you should visit the nearest Jeep service center to get a fresh copy of the latest firmware installed by the company engineer.
Method 9: Unplug and Replug the Fuses
Finally, there is another tip that might help you fix the touch screen not working issue on your Jeep Compass or some other Jeep SUV. If you tried all the tips mentioned above and your problem was not solved, there might be some issue related to the electric supply that powers the UConnect infotainment system. This tip should work, especially if the touch screen of your vehicle doesn’t light up or wake up at all and stays black all the time.
Modern vehicles come with an array of fuses to support the electrical system and so does your Jeep vehicle. Be it the memory seat, sunroof, audio system, headlights, power liftgate, or any other feature that requires a power supply, there is a particular fuse for that. FCA uses a 25 Amp Clear (ATO / Uni-Val Fuse) F02 (fuse number) in most of its vehicles for the infotainment system. If the fuse number F02 blows away for some reason, the UConnect system won’t get the power supply and function at all.
Jeep fits the fuse boxes in its vehicle in the following places:
- On the left side of the engine compartment adjacent to the battery.
- Below the headlight and foglight control buttons compartment on the left side dash panel under the instrument panel.
- In the rear cargo or boot area.
You will find F02 fitted in the fusebox located behind the driver-side light control buttons. It’s clear in color with a little bluish tint so you can easily find it. Pull this fuse out and check if it’s normal or blown.
Just pull out the F02 fuse from the fuse box, clean it, and plug it back in. In case the fuse is blown, you will have to get it replaced to fix the touch screen not working issue in your Jeep Compass or Cherokee.
If none of the tricks works for you, there are chances that the touch screen of your Jeep vehicle is faulty and you need to get it fixed or replaced.
Read Next: 100+ Funny Websites to Cure Boredom Online
Thanks for these useful tips! I was able to fix my Jeep Grand Cherokee touchscreen problem! 🙂
Sir, you are a genius. I have saved so much money from your advice, as I was on the verge of replacing the whole thing. Thank you so much
Hi Jeffrey, I am glad my tip helped you fix the touchscreen issue on your Jeep vehicle. 🙂