If you are in a job that requires sending similar emails every day to different users, then it could be quite a tedious job. Although you could create a template and save it as a .doc format. Then copy-paste the contents from that doc file over to Gmail. But it would prove to be a rather time-consuming process, especially while dealing with MS Word and Google Chrome simultaneously. Being an HR Recruiter, I had to face the same problem daily, until I found out the Canned Response feature in Gmail.
This feature allows you to create various pre-defined templates that you could use while composing an email. It would definitely save you a lot of time and effort, especially if you are into such types of jobs. So let us have a look at how to take maximum functionality out of this feature. Do note that you could only enable it via the desktop version of Gmail. Also, since you are here, don’t forget to check out the steps to unsend emails in Gmail.
Setting up Canned Responses in Gmail
- Log in to your Gmail account using a desktop browser.
- Tap on the gear icon to open the menu.
- Now select Settings from the drop-down list.
- Go to the Advanced option.
- Enable the Canned Responses (Templates) option from there.
- Scroll down all the way to the bottom and tap on Save changes.
Now, head over to the below section and have a look at the instructions on how to create and use canned responses in Gmail. Also, if you want a more secure Gmail experience, then have a look at the steps to enable 2-step verification in Gmail.
Create a Canned Email
- Open Gmail on your desktop and tap on Compose mail.
- Now you will need to create your first canned response that can be used for future references. Although the body of the mail could be the same, some places need to be customized. For example, I kept the name of the applicant and his applied job section empty. This is because different aspirants will have different names and will apply for different positions. You could place a dash next to all such fields (see below image for reference).
- Once you have typed the canned response in Gmail, tap on the three vertical dots to the left of the bin.
- Now select Canned responses > Save Draft as template > Save as a new template. Also, check out the new Gmail web interface and its features.
- Give this template a name and tap on Save.
- That’s it. You have just created a new canned response in Gmail. You could create as many such templates as you wish. Just write the content of the response and carry out Steps 3-5.
- If you wish to insert any of those templates, simply tap on Compose mail > Canned Response > Chose the desired template from the Insert Template section. Subsequently, the option of deleting them could again be found under the same section.
With this, we conclude the guide on how to write Canned Responses in Gmail. If you faced any issues while setting up the canned email or while creating a new canned response, do let us know in the comments section below.