Gmail, the Email service from Google is one of the most popular and trusted email service providers out there. Gmail bagged the top spot when it was reviewed and rated by the industry experts. Also, the customer base of 900 million users proves the fact that Gmail is the best Email service provider out there. But even the best Email service provider sometimes has a security loophole. Recently, there was a security breach due to which- 273 million email accounts (including Gmail accounts) were compromised.
So in order to secure your Gmail account, we recommend you enable Two-Step Google Verification to secure your Gmail account. This process will stop anyone from using your Gmail account and other Google services because they will require more than your login credentials for logging into your Google account. Now, you would be thinking what is this Two-Step Google Verification? Below is the answer to your query.
What is the Two-Step Google Verification?
As the name suggests, Two-Step verification adds a layer of security to your Google account. When you will enable Two-Step Verification on your google account, you will be asked to enter your Google password and a code that will be sent to you through text, call or Google Authenticator to access your Google account services. After enabling Two-Step Verification you will be asked to perform a few more steps to access your Google account, it will be worth it because of the security level it provides.
Using Two-Step verification automatically doubles the security of your Google Account and will make sure that if you want to log in to your Gmail account, then you should have both your password and authentication code. Now, let us understand the procedure to enable the Two-Step verification for your Gmail account.
Enable 2-Step Verification in Google Authenticator
- Open a web browser on your PC.
- In the address bar type, g.co/2sv.
- You will be asked to enter your Gmail password. Enter it.
- Tap on the Sign in button.
- Under Two-Step Verification, tap on “off“.
- Now, click on “Turn On”.
- Again, type your Gmail password and Sign in.
- Now, you will be asked to select your country. Select it.
- In the phone number option, type your number.
- Now, you will be provided with 2 options: Text message and call. Select one.
- You can first try this service. Click on “Try it“. Based on the option you have chosen, you will either receive a text message or a phone call containing the code.
- Type the code which you received and proceed.
- Tap on “Turn On”.
Two-Step Google Verification has been activated for your Google account. You will now receive a text message or phone call informing you about the unique code to login to your Google account. You can also use the Google Authenticator app on your Android device to log in to your Google account. Below, we will guide you through the procedure to set up Google Authenticator App on your Android device.
Set Up Google Authenticator App on your Android Device
- To get started, head to your Google accounts page.
- Tap “Next“.
- Tap on “Switch to App“.
- Click on Android and continue. You will now see a barcode on your PC.
- Now, on your Android device, head to Play Store.
- Search for Google Authenticator.
- Install the Google Authenticator and open it when the download is finished.
- Click on “Begin Setup”.
- Click on “Scan a Barcode”.
- Now, scan the barcode which is visible on your PC screen.
- Click on “Open Browser” and tap “OK”.
Now, you can use a unique code from Google Authenticator App whenever you want to sign in to your Google account. You won’t get a text or call informing you about the code, instead, you have to view it from Authenticator App. The unique code is valid for only 30 seconds and when you use it, it should match the code Google is expecting at that time. Now, no one can login to your Google account until and unless he/she has your phone and can view the unique code from Google Authenticator. Thus, you have enabled Two-Step Google Verification to secure your Gmail account. For any queries, drop down a comment below.
Read Next: How to Recover Deleted Contacts on Android
I lost my phone and I have been using Google Authenticator app to login to my facebook, now that I have new device, and re installed the Authenticator, unable to get any code.
And when I use my phone number and email to reset the account it refer me to authenticator code from app which I cant get