Recently, I wrote a tutorial describing 4 methods to check the manufacturing date of Android devices. You can find out how old your mobile phone is using the IMEI, Serial Number, dialer code, and apps. However, there is no app that tells you the purchase date of your device. However, there is still one way to check the activation date of an Android phone or tablet. Usually, the IMEI activation date of a mobile phone is the same as its activation date.
It doesn’t matter whether you own a device from Samsung, Xiaomi, OnePlus, Huawei, Vivo, Realme, Nokia, Motorola, Asus, or Oppo, it’s very easy to check the activation date of any Android phone or tablet. Don’t miss out on my detailed guide on the ways to find the codename of any Android device.
Typically, a smartphone or tablet is considered new until it’s packed inside the box and has not been activated by inserting a SIM card and registering it with a Google account. So, if you want to check how old your phone is, it’s up to you to choose because it can be determined by two factors: its manufacturing date, and the activation date.
In most cases, the activation date of a phone is its purchase date and IMEI activation date too because most of us tend to register it on the same day. The best way to find out the purchase date of your phone or tablet is to check the purchase receipt or bill.
In case you bought your device from an online store, you can check your order history to know about the date you ordered and received it. You can also make a search in your Email inbox using the device name keyword. Usually, online stores send emails when your order your device and also when it’s delivered to you.
Anyway, there is yet another way to check the mobile activation date of an Android device. As we know, a smartphone or tablet device is activated when we insert a SIM into it and sign in with a Google account. Fortunately, Google keeps a record of the date when we activate a phone or tablet.
Check the Activation Date of Android Device via Google Dashboard
- Open your Google Account by clicking the link on your desktop or mobile browser.
- Click on the Security option on the left navigation panel.
- Now, select the Manage all devices option under the Your Devices panel as shown above.
- You’ll now see all your devices where you’re currently signed in to your Google Account. Go to the Android section and select the Android device.
- You’ll be able to check the last used and activation date or first sign-in date of your Android phone or tablet. If you want to customize this name, check out my guide on changing the device name of Android.
Check the Registration Date of Android Device via Play Store
You can also check the unboxing date of an Android device via the Google Play Store. Open the Play Store Settings page on your computer or smartphone. You’ll see the registration date under the My Devices section. This is the activation date of your Android phone or tablet.
As you can see, the phone activation date of my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra is January 25, 2021, and that of my Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro is August 31, 2019. This way, you can find out easily how old your phone is.
Check Phone Activation Date by IMEI
If you own a Realme smartphone, you can use the OEM’s Phone Check service to get all information about your phone including its activation date and time by entering the IMEI number. Xiaomi offers a similar product authentication service but it does not give information about the purchase date of Mi phones for all models. If got an Oppo phone, you can check its warranty status simply by providing the IMEI number.
Anyway, if you are an Android user, you can easily check your phone’s activation date using its IMEI.
- Visit imei.info by clicking the link.
- Open your phone’s dialer and type *#06# to find out the IMEI number of your device. You can find the IMEI by going to Settings > About phone as well. Alternatively, you can use the following command to get the IMEI number on your Android device.
adb shell iphonesubinfo 4 | cut -c 52-66 | tr -d '.[:space:]'
- Type your phone’s IMEI number in the box that says ‘Enter IMEI‘.
- Click on the Check button.
- On the next page which shows all basic information about your Android device, click on the Warranty Check button. Please note that the name of the button might differ for devices from OEM to OEM.
- On the next page, you’ll find the activation date of your Android phone. Below, is an example of my Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro activation date and time.
Alternatively, you can go to IMEI24 to check the purchase and IMEI activation date of any Android or iOS device.