What makes a TV smart? Internet and Bluetooth connectivity, integration of a voice assistant, and the capability to install apps and games make a normal TV smart. Just like smartphones, smart TVs come loaded with lots of pre-installed apps. If you own an LG Smart TV and want to delete apps, you can easily do that by entering the Edit Mode. In this tutorial, we will check out how to install and update apps from LG Content Store, and delete apps on LG TV via Edit Mode.
I recently purchased a 75-inch LG NanoCell TV and when I compare it to my 55″ Samsung QLED TV (2019), I found it better in many respects. If you want to delete pre-installed apps on Samsung TV, you won’t find an option to do that. You can uninstall only those apps that you install from the Samsung App Store. Also, there’s no way to lock apps on Samsung.
Fortunately, webOS-powered LG Smart TVs have an Edit Mode, that lets you delete any app on your LG TV. My Smart NanoCell TV 75SM9400PTA only has 0.60GB of space out of which 0.39GB is already occupied with pre-installed apps. That’s why I decided to uninstall apps that are of no use to me.
If you watch TV for very long hours, the blue light emitting from your TV’s screen might harm your eyes. Don’t forget to check out my tutorial on enabling blue light filter on LG Smart TV via Eye Comfort mode.
How to Enter Edit Mode on LG Smart TV
As I already mentioned above, you can’t change the order of installed apps or delete them unless you get to the Edit Mode on your LG TV.
- Press the Home button on your LG TV Remote control.
- Navigate to the right side of the app list strip and click on the tile with the Edit icon.
- Once you enter the Edit Mode on your LG TV, you will see Edit Mode written on the screen. You are now ready to customize the order of apps and delete apps you don’t want on your TV.
Don’t Miss: How to Decode LG TV Model Numbers
Steps to Delete Apps on LG Smart TV
When it comes to deleting apps, LG Smart TV has a more user-friendly interface than that of Samsung or Sony. Follow these steps to delete apps on your LG TV (2018, 2019, and 2020). Since the internal storage of smart TVs is usually limited, keeping too many apps might slow it down. Therefore, it’s a better idea to remove useless apps.
- Enter the Edit Mode on your TV as described above.
- Navigate to the app you want to delete.
- You’ll see a small ‘X’ icon above the app your select.
- For instance, if you want to delete Netflix, highlight the app icon using the magic remote pointer or multi-direction navigation pad, highlight the ‘X‘ icon, and click it.
- You’ll see a pop-up prompting you to confirm app deletion by selecting Yes.
- Click on the Yes button and the app will be deleted.
Installing Apps from LG Content Store
Compared to Samsung’s Tizen platform, the WebOS on LG TV has a greater range of apps and games up its sleeves. LG has a dedicated app store called LG Content Store and has lots of apps to choose from. If you don’t know how to install apps on your LG Smart TV, follow the steps given below.
- Press the Home button on your LG TV remote.
- Navigate to the LG Content Store tile on the app strip.
- You’ll get a list of the most popular apps available for your country right above the app strip. In case you don’t find the app to install in the list of suggestions, just click on LG Content Center.
- You can now browse the apps available in the LG Content Store. Highlight the app you want to install and click on it.
- Click on the Install button and the app will be installed on your LG Smart TV.
Steps to Change the Order of Apps
I have more than 20 apps installed on my LG NanoCell TV but that doesn’t mean I use them equally. I use some of these apps on a daily basis and want to access them as quickly as possible. That’s why arranging the apps installed on your LG TV is important. Let’s see how to change the location of apps by moving them left or right for easy access.
- Press the Home button on your TV remote.
- Navigate to the Edit tile by pressing the left key on the multi-directional navigation pad.
- Select the app you want to move to a different location. For example, if you want to change the location of Prime Video and position it after Netflix, highlight Prime Video and long-press the Center selection button.
- When the app is selected and ready to move, it’ll jump a little up as shown in the screenshot below.
- Now press the left or right key on the navigation pad to move the app. When the app reaches the location where you want to place it, press the Center button. That’s it!
How to Update LG Smart TV Apps
In order to enjoy the latest features and stability, it’s essential that we keep our TV’s software updated. Besides updating the LG Smart TV software, we should also make sure that our TV has the latest version of the apps on it. You can update the LG Smart TV apps manually and automatically both and below, we’ll see how we can do that.
- Press the Home button on your LG TV Remote.
- Navigate to LG Content Store and click on it.
- When the LG Content Store is launched, highlight Apps on the top of the screen and click on it.
- On the Apps screen, you’ll have 3 options.
- Update individual apps
- Update all installed apps at once
- Allow automatic updates so that you don’t have to update apps manually in the future.
- Just select the way you want to update the apps on your LG Smart TV.
It’s time now to wind up my tutorial on managing LG Smart TV apps. I hope it would help people seeking an easy guide to install, update, and delete apps on their LG Smart TV. In case you encounter any problem while following the steps given above or have some other issue with your LG TV, please let me know via comments.
Read Next: How to Fix WiFi Connection Problems on LG TV