Are you having the virus scan failed error in Chrome? Is your web browser not loading web pages properly? Do you think your browsing data is overloaded with 3rd-party cookies? If you encounter any such issues in Chrome, Edge, Opera, or Firefox, you should clear your browser cache and cookies to fix them. The steps to clear cookies and cache are the same for Windows and Mac.
What are Cache and Cookies in Web Browser?
On the other hand, cookies are small bits (in text format) of information generated by a web server and sent to a web browser. Cookies provide key information to websites about users, such as their user ID, login credentials, preferences, and session activities while browsing. This helps websites to personalize user experience. While cookies are good for enhancing web experience, they are also used to exploit your private information for personalization, advertisement, and tracking purposes. In short, the internet knows you through the cookies the web server collects.
Don’t Miss: 250 Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows 10 and 11
Clearing Browsing Data in Chrome, Edge, Firefox & Opera
The steps to go to the browsing data settings are almost the same on all main web browsers. You can type or paste the following URLs in the URL bar of the respective web browser and press the Enter key to access the clear browsing data menu.
- Google Chrome:
- Microsoft Edge:
The detailed steps are described below.
Clear Cache and Cookies in Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome and click the 3-dot icon in the top-right corner of the browser window.
- Select More tools > Clear browsing data… from the menu. Alternatively, you can press the Shift + Ctrl + Delete keyboard shortcut to bring up the Clear browsing data window in Chrome. Check out more Google Chrome keyboard shortcuts to use this browser like a pro.
- When you see the Clear browsing data pop-up window, make sure that All time is selected under Time range, and options like Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files are checked.
- Finally, click the Clear data button.
Now, close the Chrome browser window and relaunch it to check if the virus scan failed error is gone or not!
Editor’s Pick: How to Create God Mode Folder in Windows
Clear Cache and Cookies in Microsoft Edge
If you are a Microsoft Edge user, follow these steps to clear the browsing data.
- Open Microsoft Edge, click the 3-dot menu icon in the top-right corner of the screen, and select Settings.
- On the browser’s settings screen, click the Privacy, search, and services option in the left sidebar.
- Go to the Clear browsing data section and click on the Choose what to clear option next to Clear browsing data now.
- In the small window that pops up choose All time under Time range, check all options except Browsing history and click the Clear now button.
Clearing Cache and Cookies in Opera Browser
- Open Opera and click on the Settings icon in the top-right corner of the browser window.
- Click on the Clear button next to Browsing data or Go to full browser settings.
- In the Opera settings page, go to Privacy and security > Clear browsing data.
- In the Clear browsing data pop-up window, set the time range to All time and check the Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files options.
- Finally, click the Clear data button.
Clear Browser Cache and Cookies in Mozilla Firefox
- Open Firefox and click the hamburger menu icon (≡) on the top-right corner of the browser window.
- Select Settings.
- On the Settings page, click on Privacy & security.
- Now click the Clear data button in the Cookies and Site Data section.
- Make sure that Cookies and Site Data and Cached Web Content options in the Clear Data window are selected.
- Click the Clear button. That’s it!
Finally, it’s time to wrap up this article as we have covered how we can clear cache and cookies in web browsers like Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Opera, and Mozilla Firefox.
Hello Rakesh, how are you? may we talk on email? regarding our business, hope to hear from you soon. Thanks
Hi, what is it about?