Depending on the internet connection speed, you may want to adjust the audio quality in Discord voice channels. The application lets you change the bitrate for each voice channel on your server. Hence, you can set a custom bitrate for all the voice channels on your server. In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to set a custom bitrate for individual voice channels on Discord.
Discord is the perfect application for communicating with your fans or friends while playing games. And having the option to voice chat with a group of friends is a bonus. Moreover, it’s usually better than the in-game voice chat option in most games. This is because you can tweak the audio quality to your personal preference. So without any further ado, let’s check out the steps to adjust the audio quality in Discord voice channels. The guide is for PC users and Discord mobile app users. Thus you can follow the steps based on which platform you’re using Discord on. If you want to use voice command to make your Android device do things for you, you should also consider enabling “OK Google” hotword on any screen on your device.
Adjust audio quality in Discord voice channels
This tutorial is for those who manage a server on Discord. Hence, in this guide, we’ll be showing how to configure the bitrate in voice channels in servers on Discord.
Discord mobile app users:
- Launch Discord on your smartphone.
- Tap on your Server icon and then tap on the Voice Channel in which you want to adjust the audio quality in Discord.
- Now tap on the 3-dots icon and select Channel Settings.
- You should see a slider to adjust the bitrate. The optimal bitrate is anywhere between 30kbps – 64kbps.
- Drag the slider to adjust the bitrate to your preference.
- After adjusting the bitrate, tap on the Save icon.
Discord PC users:
- Launch Discord on your PC.
- Click on the server you manage on Discord.
- Hover your cursor on the voice channel you want to change the bitrate for.
- Click on the Settings icon that will appear when you hover your cursor over the voice channel.
- Drag the slider left or right to decrease or increase the bitrate.
- Click on Save changes when you have adjusted the bitrate.
Keep in mind that the higher the bitrate, the more internet data it will consume. Moreover, it might also lead to higher ping while playing. Therefore, stick to 64Kbps or lower since the audio quality is often way better than in-game voice chat quality. Nevertheless, if you and your friends have an excellent internet connection, then, by all means, you can turn up the bitrate all the way to 96kbps.
If you experience ping issues while using Discord for voice chat, then we’d suggest lowering the bitrate. This might help solve the ping issues. We hope this guide helped you change the audio quality in Discord.