There are many occasions when we are in dire need of a Wi-Fi hotspot, but fail to get one. What many people donâ€™t know is we can easily create an ad-hoc Wi-Fi hotspot from our Ubuntu Laptop and share the internet connection with multiple devices. The only thing required for this is a wired internet connection.
This may sound good, but there are a few limitations attached to it.
- Some devices donâ€™t support ad-hoc wireless networks.
- The wireless hotspot created by Ubuntu has weak WEP encryption and lack strong WPA encryption.
But these limitations matter less when there is a need for Wireless Hotspot connection. So, letâ€™s see how to turn your Ubuntu Laptop into a Wireless Hotspot.
Turn Ubuntu Laptop into Wireless Hotspot
- Click on the settings icon from the panel present on the top of the Home screen.
- Choose system settings.
- In the system settings, choose Networks.
- Select the wireless option and tap â€śUse as Hotspotâ€ť button present at the bottom of the screen.
Note:Â Before sharing an internet connection, you first have to connect to the internet via a wired line. Remember you canâ€™t share a Wi-Fi network. So when you will create a Wi-Fi Hotspot you will automatically be disconnected from current Wi-Fi connection (if you are using one at present).
- Now, a Wireless Hotspot will be created and your Wi-Fi connection will be disabled. You can later disable Wireless Hotspot easily by clicking on â€śStop Hotspotâ€ť button.
- After the Wireless Hotspot is created, you will see a notification which will indicate that your laptop is being used as Wireless Hotspot.
- The SSID of your Wireless Hotspot will be â€śUbuntuâ€ť and the password will be displayed in â€śNetworks” option in â€śSecurity Keyâ€ť.
- Click on â€śoptionsâ€ť tab to set a custom SSID and can also set a custom password decided by you.
- You can also share your internet connection with other computers by choosing â€śshared to other computersâ€ť option in the IPv4 settings.
You can even use this method to share files between 2 computers if you donâ€™t have a wired connection to share. For any queries, drop down a comment below.