Windows 10 is constantly getting new features all the time. Okay, not all the time but every 6 months as long as you’re connected to the internet. The new features happen even more frequently for Windows Insiders. But with frequent updates comes the problem of keeping up to date with what’s new. I’m quite enthusiastic about updates but often there are some new features that don’t get talked a lot. These features pass under the radar until one day you just happen to stumble upon them. For instance, how many of you were aware of Windows 10 App Add-Ons before you stumbled here? The number will be even smaller if I were to ask how many of you know how to uninstall these add-ons.
Like many popular web browsers and some desktop applications, Windows 10 apps too¬†can support add-ons. These add-ons can be downloaded and installed via the Microsoft Store app on Windows 10. There aren’t a lot of add-ons to choose from right now. If I were to name some apps that support add-ons I’d really have to look around. Of the top of my head though, the Windows 10 Photos app supports them and you might even have a Photos app add-on already installed on your PC.
The Photos app add-on is about 177MB in size and it “offers new ways to enhance your videos.” If you’ve been following us,¬†you probably know the Photos app lets you add slow motion effects and more.¬†The add-on brings more music and themes, to be precise. In quite a browser add-on fashion, Windows 10 app add-ons add extra features to Windows 10 apps.
Steps to Uninstall Windows 10 App Add-Ons
If you’ve tried uninstalling these you’d already know they are neither listed on the Control Panel nor the Apps & Features section of the Settings app. But the trick to uninstalling them is hiding right there in the Apps & Features section of the Settings app.
- Launch the Windows 10 Settings app.¬†
- Click Apps.¬†
- You’d be taken to the¬†Apps & Features¬†section by default. Here, find and select the App that has add-ons that you want to uninstall.¬†For instance, if you want to uninstall add-ons installed for Photos app, you need to click on the Photos app entry in the list.
- When you click on the app, you’ll notice a link to Advanced Options appear right below the name. Click on it.
- Scroll down on the next page all the way to the bottom and you will see a list of all the installed add-ons. In this case, there is just the one the Photos add-on.¬†
- Click on the add-on that you want to uninstall to reveal the Uninstall button and click on it.
App add-ons can prove really beneficial especially for game developers that usually bring out DLC packs after the initial release. But so far there aren’t nearly enough add-ons to even get a mention on an app’s page.