Are you an avid user of your laptop or desktop? Are you the one who stores personal data or office data in your PC? If you are the one ¬†searching for a solution to protect your data from unauthorized access. Then you are the right place. Here is our best solution to help you to stop others from accessing your data through USB ports. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s start implementing it.
Enable and Disable your USB Ports
Well, there are many software available in the ocean of internet with which we can enable or disable the USB ports with a password. But why to go for such third party software? when you have an existing one. Yes, you are right. We have an inbuilt program in Windows OS. Its called as Microsoft Windows. You can enable and disable USB ports using a simple registry tweak. Since you are the one with who has administrative access, so only you can change these registry settings. Other account users cannot change these registry values. So no worries at all.
Without much delay lets start doing it. Before starting make sure you are in admin account and has administrative access.
- Open Run window in your PC by pressing the short cut key ‘Windows+R‘.
- Type ‘regedit‘ in the text box and click on the OK button. A notification window will appear on the screen requesting for access to the registry. Click on Yes¬†button to grant permission.
- If you are comfortable working in Registry Editor window, then go to ¬†HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentContro>Set\Services\USBSTOR
- Then double click on the Start registry and then a small window will open on the screen. You can now change the Value data to 4 to disable the USB ports and change the value to 3 to enable the USB ports.
- Then click on OK button to finish the implementation.
If you are not comfortable working in Registry Editor, then here is our another method to help you tweak the USB registry.
- Open a notepad in your PC and copy paste the below code in it.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR] ‚ÄĚStart‚ÄĚ=dword:00000004 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR\Enum] ‚ÄĚCount‚ÄĚ=dword:00000000 ‚ÄĚNextInstance‚ÄĚ=dword:00000000
- Once you paste the above code in the notepad, save it as disableusb.reg. Make sure that the text file is save with .reg extension. Now double click on this disableusb.reg file to disable your USB ports.
- If you want to enable the USB ports, then copy paste the below code and save the file as enableusb.reg.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR] ‚ÄĚStart‚ÄĚ=dword:00000003 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR\Enum] ‚ÄĚCount‚ÄĚ=dword:00000000 ‚ÄĚNextInstance‚ÄĚ=dword:00000000
- Run this enableusb.reg file to enable your USB ports.
Even if you are more lazy to perform the above task, then simply download the zip file from below download section. The zip file contains enableusb.reg and disableusb.reg files. Run the respective files to enable and disable your USB ports.
That’s it. So if you find this post useful, then share it with your peers and let them protect their data.